Monday 22 April 2013

Chinese Robe painting: work in progress

This is a 'work in progress' that has taken a long time to progress! As always some large pieces have to make way for other works or commissions, so this has had a year's 'gestation'. Not a bad thing really as it allows me to make decisions gradually and allow the painting to evolve. Paintings rarely emerge straight from my head onto paper/board/canvas, I like to allow the beginnings of a painting to suggest it's end.
This one is large 120cm x 60 cm, and is my usual combination of oil paint, pastels and enamel paint on Thai paper which has been fixed to a board frame. I will use resin for the final stage, which will always add another dimension to it. 
I took inspiration for all the elements of this piece from the Victoria & Albert museum, building up reference sketches over a few months. I would like to subtitle this painting 'Homage to  Felicity Aylieff' as I couldn't resist a variation on the theme of her outstanding monumental ceramic jars, which I have hinted at on the lower left side of the painting. As a contemporary ceramicist her works are influenced by the traditions of Chinese ceramics but have a wonderful modern freshness. Definitely my favourite ceramicist! 
I plan to have this piece ready for the PAOS exhibition in June 2013. Come and see it then!
Sketches from the Chinese Ceramic Collection V & A museum

Stage 3
Yellow Chinese Robe 
120 cm x 60 cm
                                                      Just some more work required on the top left hand side and then the resin coat!


Watercolour sketch from V&A
Silk robe with flower embroidery

Sketch of flower detail

Sketches from the Ceramics collection

Stage 2
The top left section is empty at this stage while I make my mind up....

Detail of lower flower

Detail of plate with peony and dragonfly

No comments:

Post a Comment