Monday 2 January 2012

Sari Panel Paintings

I started this series 4 years ago. Having long been a lover of jewel bright textiles, I create panel paintings inspired by richly embroidered Indian saris and fabrics. The first panel created was about 250cm x 100cm. Further commissions followed based on my own collection of Indian clothing. The choice of fabrics is vital in that they are not only visually beautiful but connect me to memories, people or events that have an emotional resonance. 

Materials employed: Wood, hardboard or MDF panels are covered in hand made Thai paper as a base on which I work with Winsor & Newton oil paint, oil pastel, beads, gold paint etc Some  panels are also coated in resin which retains the textural quality of the paper in some areas and  creates a glassy surface in others.
Other Sari works are on canvas using Winsor & Newton oil paint.

I work continuously in sketchbooks and my current favorite is a bound Watson-Guptill and smaller Winsor & Newton watercolour pads.
All my ‘Sari’ pieces are created with a particular group of Indian girls in mind; orphans, daughters of rescued sex workers and girls from poor families, all of whom are given a new home, food, clothing and education through the Esther Homes charity. A percentage of all the sales of the ‘Sari’ series goes to support this charity. Esther Homes (an EPOH project)

Small Blue Peacock
Blue Peacock Wedding Sari
Garden Sari

No comments:

Post a Comment